STEMing UP is for young women in the GTA aged 13-17 who are interested in computer science but face multiple barriers accessing relevant learning opportunities. The purpose of this program is to remove these barriers and increase their chances of receiving an education and career in technology.
The STEMing UP Program aims to equip young women with the confidence, computer programming skills, professional portfolios and an array of professional networks to enable them to pursue fulfilling careers in the STEM industries.
*** Phase 1 – July 26, 2021 to August 20, 2021
*** Phase 2 – September 13, 2021 to December 23, 2021
This program provides a safe space for young women to learn computer science, interpersonal and decision-making skills. The course syllabus includes:
● Project-based assignments in order to develop and produce a portfolio of work
● Mentorship on a portfolio, college application process and/or financial aid
● Information surrounding and real-life experiences of the Shopify Dev Degree Program
● Networking and mentorship opportunities with educators, industry professionals and employers
● A peer-support network that will build confidence, teamwork, and learning momentum
To learn more about what you can do in the program, please check out the 2020 demo videos here http://bit.ly/STEMingUP2020Demo
*** To view the 2019 portfolios please visit http://bit.ly/STEMingUP2019YearBook
*** To view the 2020 portfolio please visithttps://bit.ly/STEMingUP2020YearBook
**WHERE** -> Virtual via Google Meets
**WHEN** -> July 26 – August 20, 2021 & September 13 – December 23, 2021
**COST** -> In order to make the program accessible and equitable, the cost of the program is based on each applicant’s household income. With that being said, we do offer scholarships/subsidies to applicants who demonstrate financial need from a low income household.
**STIPEND** -> A stipend of up to $200/week will automatically be given to each student based on income and attendance performance.
**WiFi ALLOWANCE** -> Low income students will receive a WiFi allowance for the program of up to $50 per household
** VOLUNTEER HOURS for Phase 2 of the program
Please submit your application in its entirety and, when you are provided with an acceptance into the program, you will be notified as to whether you qualify for a full scholarship, partial subsidy or if there is any fee at all. Additionally, you will be notified of the eligibility of your stipend and WiFi allowance. ** Please note, once you receive the notification of acceptance, you will have a time frame to either accept or deny the acceptance in the program.
Once accepted in the program, you must be willing to attend all classes and be fully engaged throughout the program in order to benefit from this initiative.
– Please ensure your application is complete as we cannot accept incomplete applications.
– Please review your application to ensure you have provided everything we need to assess your application.
WHAT YOU NEED TO PREPARE BEFORE YOU START YOUR APPLICATION:
* 1 reference from school/teacher – it can be in a letter format or you can submit a document with your reference Name; Phone number; Email
* 1 reference from a referral agency/mentor/guidance counsellor – it can be in a letter format or you can submit a document with your reference Name; Phone number; Email
* A list of courses/transcripts that you have completed or are currently enrolled in
* Parent Release Form & Media Release Form http://bit.ly/ParentMediaReleaseForm2021
Moreover, the program can provide opportunities for alumni of the program for up to two years, with participants increasingly challenged with real-world problems set by mentors, and solved through the wide array of skill sets they develop in the program.
TERMS & CONDITIONS
While our program is open to youth from all backgrounds, priority is given to low-income, BIPOC, LGBTQA+, and newcomer young women. *Before an individual’s final acceptance into the program, we will require that you show proof of income stated in your application.*
Your personal information will not be shared with any agency or government official. All information will be confidential and will only be reported in an anonymous and summarized form to evaluate our programs.
If you require any assistance with your application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we would be delighted to help.
To apply, please fill out this form before June 15, 2021.